Croatian classic dish – Buns with pork greaves, or in Croatian Pogačice s čvarcima / Čvarkuše. They are very popular in Croatia, and it’s not a big problem to make it.
Ingredients for Buns with pork greaves:
- 1/2 kg of flour
- 350 ml of milk
- 1 tbsp of softened butter
- 7 g of dried yeast
- 1 little spoon of salt
- 1/2 little spoon of sugar
- 150 – 200 g of minced pork greaves
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of lard (if pork greaves are dry and hard)
- 1 teaspoon of salt (if pork greaves are not already salted)
- 1 egg for coating
- Mix all the ingredients (except pork greaves and egg) and leave the dough in a warm place to rise, for around one hour.
- When it’s done, put some flour on the table and roll out the dough on half a centimeter thickness (in rectangular shape).
- Grind the pork greaves, and if they are not salted, add one teaspoon of salt. Also, if the greaves are dry and hard, add 1-2 tablespoons of lard to them.
- On 2/3 of the dough put minced pork greaves, and then first fold the side without pork greaves, and after that the one with pork greaves. Leave it for cca half an hour to rise.
- Roll out the dough, and repeat the procedure two more times.
- Last time roll out the dough to be 1 centimeter thick, and leave it to rise one more time. After that, cut out the round shape buns and put them on baking pan.
- Coat the buns with beaten egg, and bake on 392°F (200°C) for cca 15 minutes (must be golden in color).