Cornbread with cheese (Proja) can be made in many versions. My favorite version is with low-fat cheese, it’s healthy and very tasty when it is fresh and warm, but it can also stand in the bread pan for days and will not lose its quality.
Cornbread with cheese (Proja) can be used instead of bread. You can spread it with cheese cream or butter (these two versions are my favorite).
Originally, Proja was food for the poor, and it was made from only 3 ingredients: corn flour, salt and water. In this simple form, Proja is also known as an ideal meal during fasting.
- 350 g of flour
- 250 g polenta (corn grits)
- 0.5 l of milk
- 1 dcl of oil
- 1 baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 300 g of low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt (if the cheese is already salty, then only 1)
- Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the eggs and add the milk and cheese.
- Add everything to the dry ingredients (you can mix with an electric mixer or by hand)
- Finally add the oil and mix well.
- Grease a baking tray with butter and sprinkle with flour, and turn on the oven at 392°F (200°C)
- When the oven is preheated, pour the Proja into a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake the Proja first at 392°F (200°C) for about 20 minutes, then reduce to 356°F (180°C) and bake for another half an hour.
- Proja should grow and turn brown, but just in case, check with a toothpick if it is baked and, if necessary, extend the baking time.