The original recipe for these old-fashioned cookies is: ‘as much cream as fat, as much flour as it absorb.’
For my grandmother this was a good enough explanation, but I wrote a little more detailed recipe :)
Ingredients for ‘Pop in tomorrow again cookies’:
- 1 cup of sour creme (180 g)
- 1 cup (the same size like a cup of sour creme) of pork fat or butter
- cca 3 cups of flour
- Apricot jam
- Powdered sugar
- Take the sour cream, pork fat or butter (it must be melted or on room temperature) and flour, and mix them all together with your hands until you get a nice smooth dough.
- Put little bit of flour on your kitchen table and roll out the dough with a rolling pin untill it become thin around 0,5 cm.
- Cut out the dough with this kind of mold, and put them on backing tray (you can coat it with butter or put baking paper on it)
- Heat the oven on 392°F (200°C), and bake for around 20 minutes. It is very important to take them out before they became brown, it’s enugh to get a bright yellow color.
- Cool them off and spread with apricot jam. I’m using this kind of jam because it’s thick enough to hold them together.
- Put the jam on the side of cookie without the hole, then stick the side with the hole on it, and roll them in a powdered sugar.
- You can eat these cookies for days because they are greasy enough and will not become dry.