Strudel with cherries and semolina is very popular in Croatia (and in our home), so I am making it very often. Although it doesn’t look like a strudel, this cake is made with classic filo pastry, but it is filled with a mixture of semolina and yoghurt. It has a special taste, and in addition to cherries, you can also make it with cheese or apples.
Since my kitchen scale doesn’t work at the moment, I made the recipe so that everything is measured with yoghurt cups, which is my preferred way of weighing ingredients.
INGREDIENTS FOR STRUDEL WITH CHERRIES AND SEMOLINA (3 LOAF):
- 1 jar of cherry compote (you can also use fresh or frozen pitted cherries, maximum 500 gr)
- 9 sheets filo pastry
- 3 eggs
- 3 yoghurts (3 x 180 g cup)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1.5 cups of semolina
- 1 baking powder (12 g)
- 1 vanilla sugar (10 g)
- Beat 3 eggs with 1 yogurt, then wash a cup of yogurt and use it to measure other ingredients.
- Then add 2 cups of sugar, and mix well with an electric mixer.
- After that, add a cup of oil, and semolina mixed with baking powder and vanilla sugar.
- Finally add the remaining 2 yogurts.
- Unroll the filo pastry sheets for the strudel, place the first sheet and spread a part of the semolina and yoghurt mixture on it.
- As you spread the mixture, calculate that you will have 3 strudels, each containing 3 sheets and each one must be spread with this mixture. Also, it is necessary to leave about 2 dcl of the mixture which you will then pour on all the strudels before baking.
- Then fold it with the second sheet and repeat the process, and then repeat the same with the third sheet.
- After you have spread the mixture of semolina and yogurt to the third sheet, arrange a third of the cherries on it.
- Roll it up and place in a baking tray, I used the smaller one (half the width of the oven).
- This is the first strudel, so now make two more strudels with other sheets and arrange them in a row, in the same tray.
- Pour the rest of the mixture over all three strudels, then spread them well with a spoon.
12. Bake the strudels at 356°F (180°C) for about 45 minutes.
Before serving, you can sprinkle the strudels with powdered sugar.
Did you make this recipe? Share on Instagram: tag @foodcroatian