The original Zagreb steak is made from veal, but you can make it with any other meat, such as turkey or pork. For this recipe, it is better that the steak is little bit bigger because the meat is filled with ham and cheese, and then folded on one side, then breaded and fried.
Zagreb Veal Steak is national dish, it is very popular in the capital of Croatia, and it is very easy to make.
INGREDIENTS FOR ZAGREB VEAL STEAK:
- larger veal steak (1 per person)
- 1 – 2 slices of ham per steak
- 1 – 2 slices of cheese (gouda, etc.) per steak
- for breading: oil, bread crumbs, eggs, flour
- Add a little salt to the veal steak and beat it well, they should be as thin as possible.
- Place one or two slices of ham on one side of the steak and a slice of cheese on it.
- Fold the steak, and press the edges well with your fingers.
- Bread the steak in the classic way, first flour it well, then put it in a beaten egg and finally in bread crumbs.
- Fry in hot oil on each side for about a few minutes, until they get a brownish color and become soft.
- When you take them out of the oil, set them aside on paper towels that will soak up the excess fat.
Zagreb veals steak must be served with a slice of lemon, so people can sprinkle the steak with lemon drops before eating.